About 9:30 a.m., firefighters arrived at 20113 Portwood Lane, just off East Port Hudson-Plains Road, to find smoke and flames under the ceiling of the two-story home and along a section of a wall.
Firefighters from Zachary and the Slaughter Volunteer Fire Department quickly extinguished the small blaze, said a volunteer firefighter on the scene.
Some damage was reported to the inside of the home.
One of the homeowners was present at the time the fire broke out, contrary to initial reports that none were home at the time of the fire.
The cause is believed to have originated in the chimney or chimney area of the home.
Be sure to pick up the Jan. 9 issue of the Zachary Plainsman for an update to this story.