The proclamation also designated Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013, as David Horton Day.
The proclamation states:
Whereas: David D. Horton has been an outstanding resident of the City of Zachary for over 55 years, an educator for 27 years in the Zachary School System and a devoted community leader, having served as a Zachary City Councilman for 28 1/2 years, and presently serves as Deacon and Treasurer of his Church, Union Baptist; and
• Whereas: David is married to Louise Stewart Horton and has one son, Stewart David Horton; and
• Whereas: David Horton taught Social Studies at Northwestern High and Northwestern Middle School when it opened, and saw its students through 1978; and
• Whereas: David Horton is a dedicated member of many civic and social clubs, including the Zachary Men’s Club, whose mission is to assist citizens of the Zachary Community who are in need, providing assistance for the general welfare of Zachary; and
• Whereas: He was instrumental in organizing the Foundation Assisting Zachary Education (FAZE) - an organization raising over 250,000 since its inception in 1992 - which provides workshops for teachers and computers, software and calculators annually to Zachary School children; and
• Whereas: He and his wife Louise started the Zachary Chapter 5432 AARP Chapter in 2009, where he serves as Board Member, often teaming up with the Zachary Men’s Club and members of the Southern University agriculture department planting and maintaining a 13-acre community garden which supplements the Zachary Food Pantry; and
• Whereas: David also serves as President of the Zachary Community Federal Credit Union, offering financial services to members since 1967, and served as past member of the Zachary Historical Association; and
• Whereas: The City of Zachary would like to thank David Horton for his exceptional contributions and commitments positively affecting the growth of the Zachary community.