This is the first major improvement the board has awarded since taking over the 62-year-old facility in 2003.
Volkert Inc. will manage the project and Coleman Partners will serve as architect.
The project includes:
Stadium work – Seating, concessions, locker room and restrooms, with projected completion by Aug. 15, 2013
• Window replacement
• Roof repair as needed
• Structural assessment and site drainage evaluation systems
• McConnell Auditorium, including asbestos removal, with projected completion by April 1, 2014
• Interior lighting and acoustical ceiling tile replacement
• Campuswide security and intercom systems
• Exterior door replacement
• Exterior painting
• Pavement repairs
In other business:
LIGHTING: Morgan Watson, MEL Inc. Professional Engineers and Project Consultants, Baton Rouge, evaluated interior lighting at Baker Heights, Bakerfield, Park Ridge Academic Magnet elementary schools and Baker Middle School.
The fluorescent lighting is not even half what it should be, Watson said. He recommended replacement with high-efficiency LED lighting.
The board agreed to pay $94,300 to MEL to design the improvements but will wait until the new fiscal year to approve the work because funds are encumbered for driveway paving and heating and air conditioning repairs.
NEXT MEETING: The next meeting of the school board will be 6 p.m., Tuesday, March19.