Baker District Chief Howard Bonaventure said upon arrival, firefighters discovered smoke coming from the rooftop of a home, located at 1275 McHugh Rd., about 10 a.m. on March 12.
He also said two people were using garden hoses to fight the fire under the carport where the garbage can was located.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze in about 15 minutes, Bonaventure said.
No injuries were reported and the homeowner escaped unharmed.
Investigators believe a fire traveled up the carport wall from the garbage can and into the attic of the home.
Bonaventure said about $15,000 in damages were sustained to the residence, and a car parked under the carport also received some smoke damage.