Zachary Plainsman-News established in 1953
Covering Zachary, Baker
Zachary was named after a farmer who owned the land that became the present city of Zachary. Zachary's first post office opened in 1885, and it was incorporated as a city in 1889. The first census in 1914 reported just 419 residents. By 1980, there were 7,525 residents, in 2000 there were 11,275 residents.
The Zachary school district became independent from the East Baton Rouge Parish school district in 2004.
Zachary was the first city in Louisiana to elect a Republican as mayor in 20th-century Louisiana. Jack Louis Breaux, Sr., served as a part-time mayor from 1966-1978, and a full-time mayor under a home-rule charter from 1978 until his death of a brain tumor on January 26, 1980. Festivals - ZFest
Clinton Watchman established in 1878
Covering Clinton, Jackson, Norwood, Wilson, Slaughter
Clinton is a town in and the parish seat of East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, United States. The town was named for New York Governor DeWitt Clinton. The population was 1,998 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Several military engagements occurred during the American Civil War about Clinton. Union General Benjamin Grierson occupied Clinton on June 7, 1863, a month before the fall of Vicksburg, Mississippi. Grierson found the town deserted, as Confederates had withdrawn ten miles to the north. According to the historian John D. Winters inThe Civil War in Louisiana (1863), the Union "burned a railroad depot, a warehouse containing several hundred hides, a small supply of corn, a machine shop, a locomotive, a crude woolen mill, a cartridge factory, a supply of ammunition, and several barrels of Louisiana rum."
On October 5, 1864, Union General Albert L. Lee left from Baton Rouge to make another raid on Clinton and destroyed a tannery at nearby Greensburg containing two thousand sides of leather.On March 5, 1865, with less than a month remaining in the war, Union General Francis J. Herron moved from Baton Rouge3 toward Clinton and defeated a weak Confederate force. The Federal cavalry pushed twenty miles north of Clinton to discourage remaining Confederate activity in the area.
Festivals - Red, White, & Blueberry Festival, Jackson Assembly
St. Francisville Democrat established in 1892
Covering St. Francisville, Tunica, Angola, Wakefield
St. Francisville is a town in and the parish seat of West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 1,712 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Baton Rouge Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The town of St. Francisville was established in 1809 and a number of historic structures from that period still exist. Called the town "two miles long and two yards wide" because it was developed atop a narrow ridge overlooking the Mississippi River, it was the commercial and cultural center of the surrounding plantation country. Below St. Francisville's bluffs, another early settlement called Bayou Sara had been established in the early 1790s and was at one time before the Civil War the largest shipping port on the Mississippi River between New Orleans and Memphis. Destroyed by repeated flooding and fires, nothing exists of Bayou Sara today, but a few of its structures were hauled up the hill into St. Francisville in the 1920s.
Years of contention as to exactly where the eastern boundary of the 1803 Louisiana Purchase was, depending on which treaty was cited as France and England and Spain shifted the territory among themselves, allowed Spain to continue to claim St. Francisville and territory on the eastern side of the Mississippi River which is today called the Florida Parishes. In 1810 St. Francisville served as the capital of the Republic of West Florida as the local planters ousted the Spanish government and set up their own independent republic for a grand total of 74 days before being annexed to the rest of Louisiana as part of the United States.
After the Civil War, a number of Jewish immigrants escaping religious persecution in Germany arrived and made important contributions to commerce in the lean years, providing credit when the banks failed, building impressive Victorian homes like the Wolf-Schlessinger House, now operated as the St. Francisville Inn B&B.
In recent years, community efforts have focused on restoration and preservation of the town's historic homes. St. Francisville is currently a popular tourism destination with a number of restored historic plantations open daily for tours, including Rosedown State Historic Site, Audubon State Historic Site, Butler Greenwood Plantation, The Myrtles, The Cottage Plantation and Greenwood Plantation, as well as several antebellum gardens.
Festivals - Audubon Pilgrimage