You know the usual affirmations: get fit, make more money, spend more time doing what I love and less time doing what I don't, travel more, eat less, take up a hobby...these are all very respectable - yawn! - resolutions but they are B.O.R.I.N.G.
This year, I've decided to really get specific and try to tackle a few unconventional resolutions to see if maybe, just maybe, I am more successful at my 2013 New Year's Resolution list than in the past.
And, by the way, I will still keep 'getting fit' on the list..since you're never to old or too young to keep doing or trying this.
Ok, here we go!
• This year I resolve to keep telling the woman in the public relations department at a prominent organization in town 'hello!' every time I see her, even though she continues to look me straight in the eye, determined to ignore my greeting.
• I resolve to walk away from conversations AND/OR stick up for people who are being conversed about when they're not even in the room, much less, present for the conversation.
• I resolve to not use expletives at fellow drivers on the road...especially those who cut me off, follow too closely or stop short for no reason other than because they are talking on their cell phones! My niece and nephew are new drivers, and I would hate for someone to yell or wave wildly at them, causing undue stress or panic behind the wheel.
• I resolve to not let my blood pressure rise in the grocery store when there is only one check-out lane open, but several checkers within sight...chatting. I resolve to simply take a deep breath and read about the much bigger problems of some actor or actress and patiently wait my turn in line.
• This year I will be sure to 'Thank' or say 'Hi' to everyone I meet who is looking like they are having a really bad day. You never know when your politeness will rub off and affect the mood of another...for the better!
• This year, I resolve to: work smarter not harder; not always take the shortcuts; finish the first chapter of my book; do something extremely out of character because no one is expecting me to; and be completely honest, even if its hurts, when anyone asks me to be 100% honest with them. Happy New Year, 2013!