A Steering Committee led by School Board member Gaynell Young met Sept. 5 to review the list of 11 applicants vying for the position. It will decide which applicants to interview Sept. 25 and 26, and then narrow those applicants to two or three finalists on Oct. 4.
The board will make its final decision Oct. 25.
Applicants include Scott Devillier, former Zachary High Principal and current Director of Operations for the district. Devillier has a master's degree in education.
• Patrick Jenkins, retired military, also with a master's in education, is the Principal of Port Hudson Career Academy and a former principal of Northwestern and Zachary Elementary.
• Michelle Clayton, Ph.D., is an education consultant and former Director of Academic Accountability and Instruction for the ZCSD from 2003-12.
• Alonzo Luce, Ph.D., of Gonzales, has been superintendent of St. James Parish schools since 2007.
• Charles Michel, of Metairie, has a doctoral degree and is the supervisor of special education for the Lafourche Parish School System.
• Phillip Burchfield, Ed.D., is from Clinton, Miss., and superintendent of Clinton Public Schools.
• Deborah Moran, of Kiln, Miss., has a doctoral degree and is a retired superintendent of the Water Valley School District in Water Valley, Miss.
• Gregory Hutchings, Jr., of Alexandria, Va., has a doctoral degree and is the director of Pre-K thru 12th-grade initiatives for Alexandria city schools in Virginia.
• Darrell Treece, of Columbia, Ky., has a master's degree in education and is a retired superintendent of Adair County Schools in Columbia, Ky.
• Arthur Guttlieb has a master's in education and is from Queensbury, New York, where he is an adjunct professor at College of St. Joseph.
• Arthur Steller, Ph.D., is from Hingham, Mass., and is an education consultant. He was the superintendent of schools in Massachusetts and in N. Carolina.
The committee also discussed interview and applicant screening processes and reviewed results from a community survey, which is found on the school board website at www.zacharyschools.org under the 'Announcements' section.
Deadline for taking the community survey is Friday, Sept. 21.