“Safety for the public and our deputies is our number one priority,” Sheriff Sid Gautreaux said. “We are asking everyone to take all necessary precautions to protect their loved ones and property. The Sheriff’s Office will work before, during and after the storm to assist the public in any way we can.”
EBRSO Hurricane Preparation
EBRSO has ensured that all equipment and personnel are prepared for the storm and its aftermath. The operations staff has ensured that all boats and maritime equipment are fueled and ready for deployment if necessary.
In addition, high-water rescue vehicles are appropriately staged and ready for deployment. All special operations equipment, such as chainsaws, shovels etc. are readied for use if needed by special operations divisions. In the event that additional manpower is needed beyond regular numbers, EBRSO portable bunk houses have been placed north and south to serve as sleeping quarters during and following the storm for deputies between shifts.
All EBRSO units are fueled and prepared for deployment, and all spare units have been serviced to serve as secondary replacements to allow for reserve deputies to be deployed if needed.
The EBRSO Mobile Command Post and Mobile Radio and Phone Communications trailer are prepared and ready for deployment as well. All essential personnel have been placed on standby in the event additional manpower is needed to supplement normal shifts.
All nonessential departments of the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office will be closed Wednesday. Depending on the severity of the storm, nonessential departments may have additional closures.
Tips for the Public During and Following the Storm
1. Limit 911 Calls to Real Emergencies- Calls for all power and telephone outages or other utility problems, please contact the parish EOC during the time the center is activated.
2. Avoid Downed Power Lines and Always Assume They are Live
3. Drive Only If Absolutely Necessary- If traffic lights are down or out, treat all intersections as four-way stops and yield the right-of-way. Obey all issued curfews and emergency orders.
4. Continuously Monitor Local TV and Radio Stations
5. Check on and Help your Neighbors and Advise Concerned Parties That You Are Safe .
Media Outlets Follow Us on Twitter For Updates During the Storm
The Sheriff’s Office has activated its emergencyTwitter account to allow for quicker release of updates during the storm. Follow us at https://twitter.com/ebrsheriff for the most up-to-the-minute information.